Conlan to face Nikitin in New York
Michael Conlan is to come face to face with Vladimir Nikitin again.
The Russian fighter was controversially awarded the decision when they faced at the Rio Olympics.
Now Conlan has confirmed the rematch for Madison Square Garden on Decemeber 14th
"Finally it’s time to put this fight to bed", said Conlan on Twitter.
"I’m delighted to announce the rematch between myself and Vladimir Nikitin is back on and at the Mecca of Boxing, Madison Square Garden.
"I just hope turns up this time."
Conlan was referring to their postponed August bout set for Belfast, when Nikitin withdrew from the contest on late notice citing a torn bicep.
“Michael Conlan has done a lot of talking about me and our Olympic fight over the last few years," Nikitin said.
"The talking finally ends December 14.
“He’s bitter over our last fight and can’t accept the result. Well, my hand will be raised once again.”
The Conlan v Nikitin tussle will form part of a triple bill on the Top Rank Card, with Terence Crawford defending his WBO welterweight belt against Egidijus Kavaliauskas, along with the clash of IBF lightweight champion Richard Commey defending his belt against mandatory challenger Teofimo Lopez.
Conlan and Nikitin faced off in Rio in 2016, with the Russian picking up a controversial win in their quarter final, denying Conlan a medal in the process.
Conlan is unbeaten in 12 fights as a professional, 7 of those by way of knockout, and he'll be keen to get the win back against Nikitin who is 3-0 since turning professional in 2018.
You can watch the infamous Rio bout below.
More from Sport
PREVIEW : Cork v Kilkenny, All Ireland Camogie Championship Semi Final
Sarah Stanley previews the clash between old rivals Cork and Kilkenny in Páirc uí Chaoimh on Saturday.
"Different Class" - tributes paid to Diego Maradona
The world of football is in mourning following the passing of Diego Maradona in his native Argentina at the age of 60.
Dundak's Flores shortlisted for Puskás Award
Dundalk midfielder Jordan Flores has been nominated for FIFA's Puskás Award.
Big news in the Wee County as Mickey Harte installed as football boss
Louth pulled off a coup last night with the announcement that Mickey Harte will be their new manager.
Cork prepare for All Ireland Camogie Championship semi final
To the fascinated observer looking on from the sideline, without attachment to either of the protagonists, last year’s Liberty Insurance All-Ireland Senior Camogie Championship Semi-Final between Cork and Galway was one for the ages.
Kenny takes the positives despite going 8 games without a win
Republic of Ireland Boss Stephen Kenny says there are positives to take from his first 8 games in charge - despite not picking up a single win in that time.