The Taoiseach has made a formal state apology to the victims and survivors of Mother and Baby Homes
He told the Dail an apology on its own is not enough and says actions always speak louder than words.
Micheál Martin told the House that basic kindness was not shown to vulnerable women by either church or state.
The Taoiseach described the treatment of these women as a flagrant breach of human rights.
He said an apology is not enough and committed to responding to the recommendations of the Commission on Mother and Baby Homes' report.
Taoiseach Micheál Martin made a formal apology on behalf of the state in the last hour:
"The Irish state, as the main funding authority for the majority of these institutions, had the ultimate ability to exert control over these institutions. This authority was not exerted, and the State's duty of care was not upheld the State failed you, the mothers and children in these homes".
More from Cork
2 Men Arrested After A Gun Was Fired Towards A Van In Clare
The shooting happened earlier this week
A Motion To Ensure Student Nurses And Midwives Receive Fair Pay Will Be Debated In The Dail Next Week
The motion will be discussed on Wednesday
Around 25% Of Hauliers Arriving Into Dublin Port From The UK Are Experiencing Problems At Customs Checks
That's according to an agribusiness journalist
It Won't Be Confirmed Until Tuesday Whether Special Needs Children Can Return To School Next Week
The Department of Education wrote to principals last night
A Survivor Says She Has No Confidence Recommendations From The Mother And Baby Home Report Will Be Implemented
The Commission of Investigation called for 53 actions to be taken
The Top 4 Things You Need To Know Now
The main stories making the headlines across Ireland