Key points from Taoiseach's address on new measures to fight COVID19
The Taoiseach has announced a raft of new measures to stop the spread of the coronavirus.
The Taoiseach began his address by asking people to stay at home, "I'm asking you to stay at home if at all possible" he said.
- You should only leave home to go to work if your work is essential and can't be done remotely
- Asking only to have groups of 4 people
- All theatres, clubs, hairdressers etc to shut
- Hotels to restrict occupancy as much as possible
- All cafes and restaurants to be takeaway only
- Construction sites and factories do not have to be shut but physical distancing can be employed
- No travel within or outside Ireland should happen unless it's absolutely necessary.
- All planned cruise ship travel to Ireland will cease
- All sporting events even behind closed doors cancelled
- Govt commits to 4 billion euro package for business over the next few weeks
- COVID emergency payment is to be increased to €350 a week. As will illness benefit with the chance for companies to top that up further
- Companies can benefit from 70% back from the government if they keep people employed and pay the other 30%.This will be capped at 38,000 salary a year or €410 a week from the government
- Private hospitals will work as public hospitals which should add 2,000 beds. They agreed to do that free of charge
- Emergency bill on Thursday will allow former members of the Defence Forces to be re-recruited at the rank they left at
- Taoiseach Leo Varadkar has moved to give clarity on speculation about a 'lockdown' he says this is not a lockdown and he does not want to use that term
More from Coronavirus
Bandon Music Festival 2020 Cancelled
Organisers say they will be back, bigger and better in 2021
Nursing Homes Ireland Continues To Appeal For Workers To Provide Care ToPeople During Covid-19
They are urging ex healthcare staff to register their support for nursing homes during the pandemic
Locals in West Cork express concerns about influx of visitors amid fine weather and long weekend in midst of COVID19
Fears have been expressed by locals in West Cork who say they're concerned people will travel to their holiday homes over the long weekend in the midst of the COVID19 outbreak.
Fears Expressed That Childcare Workers May Go Unpaid Over Easter
The wage subsidy scheme announced two weeks ago for the childcare sector is yet to be introduced
Submission Date for Feedback on Midleton Flood Relief Scheme Extended
Due to the Covid-19 emergency the period for feedback on the scheme has been extended to Monday April 20th.
UCC implement additional measures to make sure students are not academically disadvantaged by COVID19
UCC says a flexible and considered approach to exams has been developed in the wake of the COVID19 outbreak.
Access To Public Car Parks At 14 Beachside Locations In Cork Are Set to Close
Cork County Council says driving for non essential purposes is not permitted as part of the Covid 19 public health measures
Garda Commissioner Says Anyone Who Made It To Their Holiday Home Must Stay There
New powers that allow Gardaí to enforce coronavirus restrictions are now in effect.
Boris Johnson "stable" after second night in ICU
The British Prime Minister has spent a second night in intensive care due to COVID-19.
Calls for medical card prescription levy to be suspended
There are calls for the Medical Card prescription levy to be suspended for the duration of the crisis.
Chinese authorities lift Wuhan lockdown
Chinese authorities have lifted a two month lockdown in Wuhan, where the coronavirus pandemic began.
Government Hopes There Will Be Clarity On The State Exams In The Coming Days
Contingency plans for the Junior and Leaving Cert are being examined.