Cork Cashes Out!
CORK CASHES OUT – PAY THE SMARTER WAY
- Cork City has set its sights on becoming Ireland’s first cashless city.
- ‘Cork Cashes Out’ is an exciting new initiative led by the Cork City Centre Forum and is quickly rolling out in businesses right across the City Centre.
- This is an innovative move for Cork and takes the region a step closer to becoming one that leads the way in the move towards a cashless society.
- The initiative will be a turning point for the City as we start to embrace the many cashless payment options to us available, whether that’s chip and pin or contactless.
- Most importantly it brings to life the real benefits of going cash-free; not just in terms of it being an easier and more convenient way to pay but also the safest and most secure.
- The Cork City Centre Forum, a group of major stakeholders in the City including the Cork Chamber of Commerce, Cork City Council, An Garda Siochána and a host of local business groups are working hard to deliver developments and initiatives that will position Cork as a preeminent location for business and leisure.
- The scheme, also supported by the major banks, is completely voluntary for both retailers and consumers but an incentive is being offered to encourage consumers to opt in.
- Everyone who uses a credit or debit card to pay for their goods in participating stores will be entered into a competition, with a weekly 500 euro One4All voucher up for grabs in November.
- Cork Cashes Out is a pilot scheme in Cork. If this proves successful and effective, the scheme will be rolled out nationally across Ireland.
- While this initiative emphasises that going cash-free is the customer’s choice, it is very important for our businesses and consumers in Cork. For businesses, there is increased flexibility and efficient financial management as well as lower security costs. From a consumer perspective, transactions can be more reliable and secure.